Friday, May 30, 2008

Area 7 b. Matthew Reilly


I have to admit that for someone who writes erotica, I don't often read it. My first choice when it comes to leisurely reading is most definately THRILLERS (political, medical, science, military, historical) . I like to read about secret weapons, killer viruses, conspiracy and classified information. When I can get guns and/monsters mixed in, all the better! I wouldn't consider horror novels, unless they had a technical, scientific and plot heavy (not necessarily character-heavy story).
Anyway, as you might be able to tell, I am slowly becoming a fan of Matthew Reilly, who also wrote "Contest" which I reviewed a few weeks ago. I feel kinda shy about it, but I really like his insane tales and when I say insane, I mean: The man packs more action in a chapter than Michael Bay does in two hours. (If Matthew Reilly did a story about giant robots, I die) This is my second book by him, and really, he takes 'edge of your seat thrills' to a whole new level. Everything is done at the last second, some of the characters are practically bullet proof and there is no such thing as impossible odds...I don't care how top-secret, how rugged, efficient and deadly that pack of mercenaries are... or the how many seconds that nuke has before it goes off... there is a way, damnit!
The hero in this book is Shane "Scarecrow" Schofield and all I have to say is that he is...hmm, I like equations so here we go (Jack Ryan+ Rambo-Terminator/ Neo + 1/2 James Bond). Yeah he is that cool. Think I'm joking? Wel, he goes up against the US Air Force Special Teams (5 units), South African Mercenaries, a virus and more!!!
This book also has a kick-ass, female heroine called 'Mother,' who is a fucking war maching and who should have been the love interest but then I'm so biased. I'd rather my females chew coal and shit diamonds rather than be smart and plucky...which brings me back around to why I don't read a lot of erotica....

No comments: