Wednesday, May 28, 2008

"The Cobra Event" b. Richard Preston

If you like your thrillers or horror novels with a bit of science behind them, then this is definitely a book that you need to check out. In the vein of “The Andromeda Strain,” this book written by Richard Preston belongs in a genre that I only recently discovered, that of the medical thriller. I have read books about scary monsters and creatures from hell, but nothing really scares me like biology and the ‘it could really happen’ aspect of science. “The Cobra Event” is a tale of biological terrorism and the killer (well the weapon of choice) is one of the worse viral weapons I have ever heard of. The symptoms and full blown effects of the ‘cobra’ virus are more terrifying than anything that you will find in a horror movie.

Not a book for the faint of heart, at all, I found myself absolutely horrified at some parts. They spare nothing, including an in-depth autopsy and blow-by-blow infections. It will make you paranoid and if it is a scare you want, then definitely check out “The Cobra Effect.” I don’t want to be cheesy but it will bite you and stop your breathing in seconds! ...Ok, that was cheese.

Next up: "Area 7" b. Matthew Reilly

No comments: