Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Hunger Games b. Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I am not entirely sure whether this book is intended for young adults or not, but I will say that this book deals with some very adult issues. In the future, North America is split into 12 districts, the 13th having been obliterated. All is ruled by the Capitol, and well to say that they are a nasty, ruling body would be too mild. They host the Hunger Games, an arena-style, fight-to-the-death sort of competition which incorporates 2 children, a boy and a girl from every district. The children range from 12-18.



Katniss Everdeen is the heroine of the book and while she seems more mature than any teen I know, she almost has to be. As the main provider for her family and a natural leader, I think that it's not if she can win in the Hunger Games that's important, but rather could she ever be anything but a victim of the Capitol's cruelty and her own.



A damn fine book and an excellent start to a series. I look forward to the next in the series!


View all my reviews.

No comments: