Saturday, January 24, 2009

Aliens: Cauldron b. Diane Carey

Aliens: Cauldron: Adrift in Space, Terror is Born Again

My review

rating: 2 of 5 stars
The more I think that there is some sort of seperation between extreme horror and young adult literature, the more I am proven wrong. I mean I probably wouldn't have gone for the book had I known that a gaggle of children--yes kids--were going up against a pack of killer aliens, I might have thought twice about reading this book. It's not that I don't think the brightest child prodigies to ever live wouldn't be able to stave off horrifying death and mayhem. I'm sure that maybe one might live...maybe...

What started off as a promising space opera about the illegal transportation of the aliens species (disguised as cargo) on a star ship somehow denigrates to the pluckiness of brilliant space cadets in training. It was OK...not great, but it did raise two serious questions...What do the Aliens eat? How do they grow so fast after chest-burster stage? Maybe the next Aliens book I read will have more details and less of the Disney Channel.

Seriously, I would not want my teen reading this and I don't even have one.


No comments: